7.10.2018

#Death #Life #Dignity #Happy #Sorrow #Miracle


On June 12, 2018, I lost my mother to a malignant disease. She was 85 years young. I feel greatly blessed that she survived another 20 years after the doctors had given her 3 to 6 moths to live in 1998 due to Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. It’s quite story, but long story short ~ we attribute her miracle to Father Baker and Our Lady of Victory for their intercession, and this miracle has gone to the Vatican. 

And my mom’s passing had me thinking…

We find great joy in a baby’s birth. Has anyone ever found happiness, relief in death?

Most of us have experienced death in one form or another. It’s earth shattering when a loved one is tragically taken from us. There aren’t any words of comfort for those who have gone before us in this way. Death rips out our hearts. 

On the other spectrum, my mother was recently in a nursing home for rehab. Walking down the halls, aged souls in the last throes of their lives sat in wheelchairs and laid in their beds. A myriad of feelings came over me. Pure sorrow and sadness. I give those nurses and aides great acclaim for their loving care, at least that’s what I experienced while in this facility. I have heard of atrocities occurring to the poor elderly, which is diabolical.  

However, I also experienced happiness there. People playing bingo, exercising in their wheelchairs, laughing, and talking. There is life and breath in their deteriorating bodies. A long, long life can be a blessing and a bane. 

I visited with my daughter’s and my 2-year-old granddaughter, Hazel. Baby Hazel brightened the eyes of everyone. Even the man who was across the hall from my mother, who normally just cringed when I waved to him, gave us a big smile and waved to little Hazel. One woman held out her arms, and Hazel dropped her tiny hand into hers. The woman said, “I love you.” And then took great effort to lean over and kiss Hazel’s hand. 

I’m positive each and every one of us has a story to tell about life and death. I pray for a life well lived and dignity in death.

I believe, death is a blessing for those viciously suffering from various diseases. My faith tells me, we are aliens living here on this planet, and in the end, we go to our real home. 

What are your thoughts?

16 comments:

  1. Death can indeed be a blessing - despite those left behind continuing to mourn.
    My condolences on the loss of your mother. How lovely to have been gifted with an additional 20 years with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you, My beldest son last year had his bladder removed with Cancer. My sincere condolences on the loss of your mother, May she Rest In Peace.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about your son. My prayers are with him and you.

      Delete
  3. I am sorry for your loss. May God keep you close in this time of sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, but that's great she lasted a lot longer than the doctor's thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss, Cathrina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss and glad you had that time with your mother. My mother passed about a year ago. She spent her last days in a long term care facility and the other people in there broke my heart every time we visited. Some had no family coming to see them. God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My condolences to you and your family. My father passed away just over a decade ago. He had been sick for a long time, and while it was sad he died young, it was a relief. I am always amazed at the wonderful people who are nurses and caregivers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so sorry about the loss of your mother. Glad you were at least able to have these past twenty years with her, when doctors didn't even expect there would be that much. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs to you Cathrina and love to your family. I still mourn my brother. We met during that time. Other deaths don't bother me as much. He was not suffering or sick. There seems no reason for it. My brother-in-law died young too, but he'd been sick. I know my sister and her daughters live with that grief constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. That she could go with dignity and surrounded by people who loved her is a blessing.

    My grandmother was in a rest home and it broke my heart every time I visited. She had Alzheimer's and didn't remember anyone. My sister and I were honored to be with her at her passing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sympathies, Cathrina. I was there when my mom passed, and I was holding her hand. I know what you mean about it being happy and also sad. We read her stories and it felt very cosmic and resolved. Peaceful.

    ReplyDelete

What's happening in your dimension?