5.08.2018

Movie and TV Tie-ins #specfic #books

Some movies and TV shows are created from books, but others inspire books all their own, especially as a series gains popularity.

As a big fan of several—um, okay, it's really many—TV shows, I love following the characters I love from the small screen to the page. I've read TV tie-in novels from series such as The X-Files, Grimm, Star Trek, Stargate SG-1, and many more! This year I've read a book each from Star Trek: Discovery and Stargate SG-1, and I'm currently reading a book from Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda.

I find the books to be more in-depth. I'm a visual person, so it's nice to see the actual names of people, places, etc. spelled out too. Plus, it's relaxing to read in a world you're already familiar with.

I admire writers who write movie and TV tie-in novels. It's not easy writing in another person's world as well as keeping the characters realistic to the series. Fans are quick to spot inconsistencies and can judge the books more harshly for it.

We writers of Untethered Realms are finding it to be a difficult task to write in a world not singularly our own as we're jointly creating our own world to write in, but I'm sure it'll be rewarding too. If all works out, we'll have our world revealed in Fall 2019.

Have you read any movie and/or TV tie-in books? If so, what's your favorite series to read in?

12 comments:

  1. I bet fans are right on those inconsistencies! I've read books that have been turned into TV shows, but not often the other way around. I read the Sookie Stackhouse books after True Blood started, but usually when it comes to sci-fi shows, I do like actually seeing the ships and space and aliens on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seeing the ships and such for sci-fi, but I do find it easier to watch a series and then read the books.

      Delete
  2. I did once. I think it was a Star Trek book and it was very good. I need to read more of these, especially for TV shows I miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're particularly great to read for shows that are no longer on.

      Delete
  3. I've never read any book tie-ins to TV shows I enjoy. Not sure why, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through phases where I forget about such books, but then other times, I want to binge them. Heh.

      Delete
  4. I've read many of the Stargate series and Star Trek. Plus Timothy Zahn's Star Wars books. Most of the authors do a really good job keeping in line with the shows and movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most authors do a good job, but I still see the occasional review where the reviewer doesn't think such and such character would do such and such thing. Of course, those times, it's a matter of opinion. :)

      Delete
  5. I am not visual. Books for me all the way. Movies and television MUCH less often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I love mysteries! I read a couple of series that went to television and I enjoy both. Inspector Lynley by Elizabeth George, and more recently Vera by Ann Cleeves. The television versions stray a bit, but not enough to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Television shows tend to stray a bit from the book versions, but I do like when they don't make too much difference. :)

      Delete

What's happening in your dimension?