1.09.2018

Read, Write and Relax

Congratulations! If you're reading this, then you survived 2017 and the holidays. I don't know about you, but by the end of the year I'm ready to wrap it up and move on. Completing another year is quite the accomplishment, and moving into a new year brings a special kind of hope for the future.

As a writer with a day job, I'm busy juggling and balancing things in my world. The day job satisfies my financial needs, while the writing life satisfies my soul. Both are necessary to my happy existence. Inevitably I get to the point in the new year when things get hectic. Sometimes I'm so busy reacting to the next "thing" that comes my way that I forget to breathe. Then anxiety sets in. For someone who once suffered from Panic Disorder (it's a real thing), it's not the way to go.

The world is such a busy place these days that we're all in a mad dash to get things done. The good news is that people have recognized the human need to decompress. And in typical modern fashion, we're only fingertips away from instant gratification. So I went in search of some quick go-to options for de-stressing and decompressing. 

I find the sound of running water soothing (as long as it isn't a broken pipe, overrunning toilet or flood!) And I adore rain! There's actually a name for people who love rain: Pluviophiles.


But it doesn't have to be rain. I love the sound of ocean waves too. Preferably from a hammock, sort of like this one... 



~~~~~~~~~~HERE ARE SOME APPS YOU CAN TRY~~~~~~~~~~


If you love the sound of water, try one of these:



You can meditate anytime you have a few free minutes at either of these apps:


Or, if you don't go in for meditation, but need to unwind, try these breathing exercises:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are so many apps these days to help with stress and anxiety. There's even a Psychiatrist app! 

I'm not a great one for exercise, but a short walk helps me to unwind and gets my creative juices flowing. I get my best ideas during walks. 

BUT, of course my favorite way to relax is snuggling down and getting into a good book (sometimes with whisky and chocolate!)

What is your go-to technique for relaxing?


16 comments:

  1. I find solace, healing and delight in nature. But a good book (or six) is a necessity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature is definitely a great option! And books. Lots of books.

      Delete
  2. You have some of the same things that relax you as I do. I try to sit in bed and read about 20 minutes each night before I go to sleep. Otherwise my brain keeps going on and on! It helps to do some chores too. Just something to get out of the office and not only tidying up the house, but my head as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read at bedtime too. I can't imagine just getting in bed and going to sleep. My mind is too busy. But, hehe, cleaning does nothing to be relax me. LOL.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the links, Gwen! I've tried breathing exercises, but they tend to make me more anxious. I tend to watch TV or read to wind down. I also like to daydream before I fall asleep. Of course, if the daydream is getting good, then it can sometimes hinder falling asleep. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, breathing exercises might actually make me hyperventilate. Daydreaming before sleep actually makes me come up with some pretty good story ideas and sometimes I dream a solution to something I'm stuck on.

      Delete
  4. I either play a mindless game on my phone or I knit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. We went on a cruise once that included a private beach. There were hammocks in the shade, and it was the most relaxing thing ever. =)

    Truthfully? To decompress, I read a book, get out and enjoy nature, or do something mindless like playing the piano/singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hammock on the beach is sounding better and better! I can't play an instrument and you really don't want to hear me sing. LOL.

      Delete
  6. There's a reason God created alcohol. lol Walks help me, too. I'm going to check out some of your apps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m glad meditation helps you. I find meditation really helps just calming the mind which we all need. As for running water...no thanks as our pipes did burst the other day and now we have to gut the bathroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh No!!! Plumbing problems are sure to stress you out ):

      Delete
  8. The holidays are supposed to be a time of peace, and joy, but people make it a season of stress. Much is needed to be done and it always overwhelms me. While I love Christmas with my family, the preparations exhaust me.

    I definitely get my best ideas while walking too! I also read before bed. Very relaxing. Happy New Year! Take out the old and bring in the new.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most of my stress at Christmas has to do with deep cleaning the house because company is coming. LOL. It's hard to do when you have a full time day job. I definitely don't stress about buying presents, because mostly we don't buy presents.

    ReplyDelete

What's happening in your dimension?