11.15.2016

Post-Election Thoughts & Two Questions for Authors

 
 In my post-election daze, I realize it's my turn to write the UR blog. I've been in a profound state of shock and thus, tempted to pawn my duties off to a fellow UR member. But, like the trooper I am (LOL) I decided to persist.

My neutral author cover has been blown on Facebook. And I did it intentionally, albeit with extreme trepidation. This election cycle was just too important to stay in my shell and pretend I didn't care. I've been posting a lot.

Yet, for the sake of this post, I am going back into that shell, or at least crawling halfway under, so it's not too lopsided, so I can speak to all sides. Many of my fellow authors vowed to not speak out, for good reason. We authors, do business on Facebook, Google+, Twitter and blogs. As the week unfolded, I noticed that other authors were very outspoken. Some well-known, some less known. Authors are thoughtful beings, and whether the post was weighted to one political party or the other, they felt it was their duty to speak out.

Authors like Bruce Coville, Chris Crutcher, Ellen Hopkins are passionate spokespeople, as is science fiction darling, John Scalzi and indie star, Hugh Howey. Oddly enough, they all post on Facebook, maybe to speak to the most amount of folks as they can.

Coville writes, "In nearly seven decades of wandering around on this planet, one thing I've learned for certain is that making a decision out of anger almost invariably leads to bad results. So what does it tell us that tens of millions of Americans made their decision on who to support for president based on their feelings of anger? Not a good sign, in my opinion." He posted this link to a glimpse of a lesser heard view.

I was afraid that I'd get flack. Sure, I've unfollowed a few people and a few have unfollowed me. BUT, through my transparency, I've gained so many new friends! People seem eager, even desparate to talk, to bounce around theories and ideas, to talk about their frustration, their pain, their joy. So, I have no regrets. And though I may not post as many political/cultural rants, I won't be scared to anymore.

Authors are talking about the power of fiction to heal. They're speaking about being led to pen new dystopian novels. This time does speak to the dystopian... what with border walls and terrorism and the possible loss of human rights and freedoms. I've been thinking again about 1984, and a couple of Big Brother's doublespeak slogans, Ignorance is Strength. War is Peace.

My question to you... well, I have two of them:

1. As an author, do you prefer to speak out or remain neutral?
2. If you had to describe the last year as a novel, which one comes to mind?

12 comments:

  1. As a author, I don't speak out. As a person, I totally do--but usually only via those present, not recorded for all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Crystal, I remain quiet on social media, but I've had a lot of political talks in person with people. I definitely thought of 1984, but I also thought of the films Idiocracy and The Running Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you. I had to unfriend an indie author on Facebook last week. It wasn't as if I knew her that well, but her constant stream of hate and racism was not only clogging up my feed, but her words were beginning to move into very scary areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have unfriended several people. Well, it does serve as a sort of litmus test.

      Delete
  4. I've spoken a little on my personal FB page, but not as much on Twitter were I do most of my author stuff. I had a twitter buddy tell me he got 8 death threats for saying he voted Johnson. Yeah, not interested in that. But I have posted a little in terms of sharing things I find hopeful or good news because a lot of people are stuck in a doom and gloom mentality. Also Joe Biden memes. Those things are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Joe Biden memes are hilarious!!!

      Delete
    2. I love the Barry (Obama) and Joe (Biden) memes. I'm going to miss them.

      Delete
  5. I tend to remain quiet on social media and in person when it comes to politics and religion, unless someone asks for my opinion. I live in the Bible Belt, and my views are different from the majority in this area. Of course, that doesn't stop me from making snide remarks when I watch the news, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stay quiet on the internet. I talk to people in person that I know. I prefer face to face where we can have an actual, conversation. People just scream on the internet and aren't prone to changing their views. In person, talking seems way more civilized. I have very conservative friends and very liberal friends, and I consider them all friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neutral. Don't talk politics and religion unless you want an argument and arguments on social media devolve quickly. The title The Year of Living Dangerously comes to mind. I hope were not entering Four Years of Living Dangerously. I'm ready to start the Trump count down, as in when we can give him the boot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neutral. For much the same reasons as others have said, but that goes for my Twitter, FB, personal website, and Google accounts, too. My Father was an elementary school principal and kept his personal opinions and leaning very guarded for many good reasons. I'm my Father's son. I'm only a fledgling writer, self-published and nowhere near the renown of others here that I maybe presumptuously call my "online friends." Yet I do not express my opinions politically. As to a book? Well, this may be a bit of a stretch, and I risk revealing my close to the vest held thoughts. But here goes! Janissaries, by Jerry Pournelle and Roland Green.

    ReplyDelete

What's happening in your dimension?