2.09.2016

Why Write

When I began my writing adventure I really didn't know what I was in for, or what would actually become of it. I just knew I had a story to tell and I wanted to get it down on paper, and then eventually a computer.

A tale had exploded from my head and after many revisions, rewrites, editing, and a year or so later, I had my first novel. I'm paraphrasing here because I don't want to bore you with my task of the endless query process and depressing rejections. Let's approximate, it took...a while before I signed a contract.


I didn't go to college. I didn't take creative writing courses. I didn't know the first thing about writing. But, I was a voracious reader. I find it a pleasant diversion of humdrum life to venture into a variety of fantastic novels. 

Now ~ a few books and years later, I've learned quite a bit about grammar, pronouns, adverbs and adjectives (which I tend to overindulge in) and needless to say I'm still at the learning stages. Like life, I believe writing is an everyday learning process.

Then comes the unceasing and mindboggling marketing, promotions, and not only book promos, but promoting yourself as an author. Then after all that, book sales go into the dumpster. To get books into the public eye through promo newsletters, its beneficial to sell your baby at the low price of 99 cents. All that hard work for pennies seems ludicrous. Kindle ebooks, if you're an indie or self-published author are generally priced between $2.99 - $4.99, and I believe that's a steal.


It would be awesome to make scads of money for our novels, or have our books be a main source of income, but that's highly uncommon. Only if you're J.K. Rowlings, James Patterson, Stephen King .... etc... and/or happen to get your book made into a movie, then you might be swimming in dough. If your writing a novel and hoping for riches and notoriety,  then you'll be disappointed if that's your expectations. 


Usually between the revisions and the unceasing edits, I'm not a happy camper. I realize editing puts the varnish and shine on our books, but I start to dislike re-reading my words a gazillion times.  


After all my complaining and thinking about the arduous task of writing a novel, I'm asking myself....

Why do I write? 


I've been asking myself that question a lot lately. Definitely not for the money. 

I finally realized something! 


Last week I was adding words to my WIP, and I found myself smiling. Yes, I was smiling ~ because I liked it. I enjoyed the fantasy world I was creating. I liked being transported to another place and time just like when I'm reading. And, I have learned a few things. My style and grammar and punctuations are getting easier to handle.


Will I continue on my writing journey? 


For now, I can't seem to stop the stories from drilling into my skull, at least for the time being. It's a dream to be bigger and better, but I must remember to just write the best that I can ~ to entertain readers, and myself.


If you're an aspiring author, 
write what makes you happy! 

And write for the Love of it!!

22 comments:

  1. As an avid reader I am so happy to hear of a writer doing the hard yards because it makes them happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Cathrina. For me the hard part is the middle item on Gaiman's hand, finish things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always easy for me to start, but like you, it gets harder and harder to finish... I understand.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic post! Yes, we go through all that grueling work, sometimes for pennies. But I don't think I will ever stop. I love telling stories too much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're writing is excellent!!! Love your books Christine!!!

      Delete
  4. If we wrote just for the money, then we'd all quit. Keep on writing, Cathrina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great post! Writing is stressful and does suck sometimes (editing, I'm looking at you) but it really is worth it to get it out there, especially if someone says they like it. I've recently decided that... I've only got one life and screw going to school for something I'm not sure I'll even like (but I know it makes good money). I'm going to go to school for what I want and if it's mediocre pay.. well, at least I'm able to write and I'm happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, for the money can't be a reason. It's a lot of work for a few pennies. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful!
    And I agree, we can't be in this for the money.
    Keep on writing, Cathrina! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your 'can do' 'will do' 'love doing' Christina. I think we writers write because we have characters wanting to find a voice. And we're it. As a voracious reader, too, I know how much I've learned by reading all sorts of genres over the years. Hopefully all that reading will pay off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it will, Denise!!! And I love the cover of your book!!

      Delete
  9. Exactly! I love your comment about smiling while you were working on your WIP. I had a similar experience recently and it definitely makes all the frustration worthwhile.
    Keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I swear writing feels like a form of mental illness some days. Can't seem to stop doing it, even when it's nothing but frustrating. But then I'll have a really good day with the words and it turns into a wonderful madness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I write because my mind is always churning out stories and characters. For the love of it. I went to a great high school, but I didn't really learn proper grammar and punctuation until I attended an MFA program in creative writing. I also learned from editors who read and edited my work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a lot from editors too!!! Keep churning out those wonderful stories, Catherine!!!

      Delete

What's happening in your dimension?